June 13, 2008

Redeemer

Redeem: to buy or pay off; clear by payment
to buy back
to recover (something pledged or mortgaged) by payment or other satisfaction
to discharge or fulfill (a pledge, promise, etc.)
to obtain the release or restoration of, as from captivity, by paying a ransom.
Theology. to deliver from sin and its consequences by means of a sacrifice offered for the sinner
to set free; rescue or ransom
to save from a state of sinfulness and its consequences
to restore the honor, worth, or reputation of
to repurchase by right
to receive or adopt
excepted from the operation or burden of some law; released; free; clear; privileged

Meditating on the idea of redemption, I am having a hard time with the thought that it is because I am so valuable that God would seek me out and then save me. I knew what a wretched state I was in before He redeemed me, even in very midst of that state. I wasn't worthy of love- I wasn't. But God loved me anyway, right back into Himself. Still, I find no comfort in my own value, for I know that apart from God, I have no value.

I am much more comforted by the sovereignty of the One Who sought me out in my state of wretchedness, to redeem, to buy back what was always supposed to be His. That the fact that God loves me and redeemed me has nothing to do with how great I am but, rather, how Great He is.

I have been so focused these past few years on finding out who I am, and gratefully have found security in who I am in Christ.

But I now want to know more of Who He is. Who is He as Redeemer?

No comments: