February 1, 2008

Life Issues

A 23 year-old woman may be killed, may be killed the way that Terri Schiavo was killed. Her feeding tube would be removed, thus resulting in starvation and dehydration, and then death. Words like 'persistent vegetative state' and 'life support' are being thrown around regarding her story, but the only life support this woman uses is a feeding tube.

Why do the doctors and some of her family members want to end her life? Why was Mrs. Schaivo killed? I don't know. Because she was suffering too much? Because she wouldn't have wanted to live like this? I really don't understand the argument, and I'm tired of pretending I do.

These women are fairly easy targets for euthanasia. They cannot speak for themselves. The doctors and lawyers and some of their family members who advocate removal of the feeding tube put themselves in the sufferers' positions and can't imagine living like that themselves, maybe, thus acting on some sort of distorted empathy? We as a society judge the only alternative to 'poor quality of life' to be death, instead of making efforts to actually improve someone's life? Dare I say, the cost of the feeding tube, other medicines, and around the clock personal care?

In Canada an eighty-four year old man's feeding tube may be removed, also. He like the women is not dying. He incurred a brain injury in 2003, and has been in the hospital since October due to pnemonia. His body is not shutting down, and he is benefitting from the provision of fluid and food. Unlike the women, the decision to take this man's life is not being made by any of his family, but rather the hospital where is receiving care.

This man and his family are Orthodox Jews, and in an affidavit, local Rabbi Y. Charytan, said Orthodox Jews believe "life must be extended as long as possible and we are not allowed to hasten death." A lawyer for Grace General Hospital, however, told the court that doctors "have the sole right to make decisions about treatment - even if it goes against a patient's religious beliefs."

These people are alive. A feeding tube is not an 'extreme measure of life support'. It's the way they eat. As the 84 year old man's family's lawyar said, "...I don't see the difference if [a doctor] came in and put a pillow over his face."

I'm baffled. This is really happening. We in the west are actually deciding that the murder of innocent people is okay sometimes.

My heart is heavy, and I don't have words to describe what's going on in my head. How does one argue the case for life? Who would have thought we would have to?

Psalm 72
12 He will rescue the poor when they cry to him;
he will help the oppressed, who have no one to defend them.
13 He feels pity for the weak and the needy,
and he will rescue them.
14 He will redeem them from oppression and violence,
for their lives are precious to him.

Zephania 3

19 And I will deal severely with all who have oppressed you.
I will save the weak and helpless ones;
I will bring together
those who were chased away.
I will give glory and fame to my former exiles,
wherever they have been mocked and shamed.
20 On that day I will gather you together
and bring you home again.
I will give you a good name, a name of distinction,
among all the nations of the earth,
as I restore your fortunes before their very eyes.
I, the Lord, have spoken!”

No comments: