January 20, 2008

Thoughts on Identity

I like the freedom I have found, which actually I've always had, to decide for myself how I want to be defined. I like choosing for myself with Whom and with what I will identify.

That's not to say that there is no Truth in who I am. The truth, the absolute truth, is I am created by God for relationship with God in the image and likeness of God.

I like the freedom to choose that Truth. I like the freedom to decide for myself to identify with Christ and allow Him to transform my identity.

I like that freedom verses being defined by others who and what I should be. Verses being defined by others by my abilities and disabilities. Verses being defined by my faults and gifts.

I read a post at Disabled Christianity this morning which talked about a woman who, when asked if she had a disability, replied, "I used to have Down syndrome." To her people with Down syndrome were treated differently and ostracized. However, at this point in her life she is a part of things. She's a part of her church. She sees herself as a "normal human adult", as she would say. Therefore, in her conclusion, she must not have Down syndrome anymore.

I suppose it would be good if she recognized that, yes, she does have Down syndrome and learn that there is no shame in that and that it doesn't make her 'different'. It would be just as good if the rest of us learned that, too- if the rest of us learned that men and women with Down syndrome are, indeed, "normal human adults".

But I think it's also very good that she is choosing her own identity and does not define herself by her disability. She has that right to decide for herself whether or not to identify with her Down syndrome. A "normal human adult' is a valid self-definition.

No comments: