May 5, 2008

Why A wheelchair Is Not Purgatory

By Ruth at her blog, Wheelie Catholic:

WHEELIE CATHOLIC: Why my wheelchair is not my purgatory

I awoke this morning to an
MSNBC article
about the efforts of one man to walk again after acquiring a
spinal cord injury.

The article began with the words "It was only a chair, but it became his
purgatory".

Make no mistake about this: I applaud the efforts and hard work of the
individual in question. That's not at issue here, of course.

But to write an article saying that this man could have no life until he
walked again is inaccurate. To write that a wheelchair is someone's purgatory
(not a quote from the interviewed person) needs to be addressed. Why?

Because more damage is done to the perception of disability over bowls of
Cheerio due to media coverage than anywhere else. Not only that, but this
article ignores several facts that are well known in the spinal cord
community.

Read the rest over at Wheelie Catholic.


2 comments:

Ruth said...

Thanks for the link! (I love your quote from Henri Nouwen on your sidebar.)

Julie said...

Hello, Ruth! I'm honored to link to this post of yours.